Investigation remains active in NYC bar fight

jkendall@thestate.comApril 21, 2014 

USC defensive end Chaz Sutton

TRACY GLANTZ — tglantz@thestate.com

Chaz Sutton believes an incident at a New York City nightclub in early April is a “dead issue.”

“I think it’s over,” the former South Carolina defensive end said.

Unfortunately for Sutton and several former teammates, the New York Police Department does not agree.

“It’s still an ongoing and active investigation for an assault,” NYPD public information officer Lee Jones told The State on Monday. “I’m not sure when or if any charges are going to be filed.”

Police believe four former Gamecocks – Sutton, defensive tackle Kelcy Quarles, cornerback Victor Hampton and wide receiver Bruce Ellington – were at the Greenhouse nightclub at the time of a 3 a.m. incident on April 11, Jones said. That information came from “the course of our investigation,” Jones said. All four were in New York City during the time period of the incident for an ESPN The Magazine photo shoot.

A 28-year-old male suffered “multiple injuries to the face” during the incident, but police have not revealed if the former South Carolina players are believed to have been directly involved or merely witnesses, Jones said. TMZ.com identified the alleged victim as club promoter Michael Hauer.

“I’m not sure if (the players) have been interviewed,” Jones said.

In a separate incident, Sutton was “stabbed with an unknown object,” in the upper back, Jones said.

“He sustained a minor wound and refused medical attention,” Jones said.

Quarles and Sutton told The State last week they were not at Greenhouse at any point in their trip to New York. Sutton specifically denied being cut in any way. On Monday, Quarles declined further comment and Sutton declined to discuss the issue in depth.

Sutton did say he does not believe the coverage of the incident will hurt his draft position. He is expected to be a late-round selection or an undrafted free agent.

“It was just a situation where I really didn’t understand at the time, but I don’t think it’s a bad thing for me,” he said.

Quarles and Hampton are expected to be selected in the middle rounds of the seven-round draft, and Quarles said last week he feared the issue would hurt his draft status.

Hampton declined comment last week and could not be reached Monday.

Quarles’ and Ellington’s agent, Tory Dandy of Relativity Sports, and Sutton’s agent, Joby Branion, did not return messages left on their cell phones.

Go Gamecocks is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service